- I ran an 8-miler today from ‘home’ to the Thames north bank and along it to Waping. I’d never been to Waping and it’s really cool, at least along the river. There are all sorts of re-purposed and refurbished (and not so refurbished) warehouses and cool little pubs hidden in them — like the Captain Kidd.
- Note to self: don’t do a run through a major tourist attraction at midday on a Saturday. Running by the Tower of London and Tower Bridge would be much cooler early in the morning before opening. And it doesn’t even have to be *that* early to beat the tourists. Cobblestones are bad enough without having to play “dodge the tourist.”
- Mad dogs and Englishmen…and runners go out in the midday sun. I wasn’t the only one out today, and not even the only one trying to dodge the tourists at the Tower. This made me feel like less of an idiot.
- To the asshole Italian tourist who thought it would be funny to run up right behind me, into my personal space, and pant like he was doing Lamaze: yeah, I’d like to see you even try and keep up with me. Loser.
- Not all of my day was spent running. I also taught Hassan the bartender in the college bar how to make a “black and tan” (half lager, half Guinness). He pronounced the color “really nice” and said he’d have to try it later.
- And Hassan taught me exactly why you have to let a Guinness set before serving it (and why a black and tan probably should have the Guinness poured first). It’s not just that it has a big head (though it does), but the color and clarity improve with a little waiting, too. I watched it as it went from smoky brown to its usual clear blackish amber.
- And I read some more Ed McBain in the courtyard of the college, sitting in the sun on a bench.
- I’m also doing laundry so I’ll have some socks for a planned roller-blading outing tomorrow (if the weather holds), and though I’ve done laundry now three times in the college laundry, I only just now figured out where the drawer for the detergent cube thingies is, and only because someone else was there with his open. D’oh! I’ve been putting them in the barrel itself (which the directions say will do if you don’t have a drawer). Well, how should I know they were hidden behind the key for all the little pictures?
- Yes, I *am* having a mellow, do-nothing day, why do you ask?
- In other news, the other day I found and bought an apple green t-shirt at Benetton on sale for 6.95 that goes perfectly with my awesome new skirt. Excellent!